Some small mixed-up media

I  have had for some time a few unfinished backgrounds which I finally got to finish into mixed media projects (or sort of like that, anyway). Some of the backgrounds hang around for weeks or even months without any progress. Some are happy accidents and some failures with layers of unsatisfying results. In the end they all became something I like or might like eventually.

The Dragonfly
The background for this one was one of those "I'll just mix some of these together and see what happens". I had made a batch of mixture of gel medium and watercolor powders. I don't remember which colors or brand... no wait, I think they were Brushos. I used a chevron patterned stencil during the process. I sprinkled some more powdered colors while it was still wet. I sprayed water over it so the powders would dissolve better. At some point I started to dislike it and before it had dried I took it under the running water and washed away the gel medium. The pigment on the powdered watercolors had already absorbed into the paper. Now this I did like, this was a very VERY happy accident. I might even try this again someday.

It took me weeks before I had the courage to continue and when I did, I messed it up again. I'm talking about the dragonfly. I had mixed some black color with the gel medium and thought it would look great. It didn't and the dragonfly was also positioned awkwardly. It took again some time to figure out what to do with this. Eventually I grabbed a gold colored gel pen and used it to color the dragonfly. It made it look better. Also the white gel pen doodling made the positioning look less awkward.

The dragonfly is from a stencil by The Crafter's Companion and the chevron stencil was by Memory Box, by the way. On the background there is also some black stamped text, it's from the script stamp by Kaisercraft.

The Dragonfly

The Lair of gems
This one started of as the "tryout of the new supplies". It was originally on a white ungessoed watercolor paper but at some point I thought it would look better as black. A bit pity because I did like it as white as well. Anyway, on the background I had squirted some liquid pearls and glitter glues, tried some acrylic paints and colored powders, and the last bits are colored decoration sand (small stones actually) and micro beads. I spread black gesso over the flat surface and some white and clear gesso over the rough area. Then I dropped some color from Lindy's sprays. For finishing touch I applied Prima's wax to the flat surface.

The Lair of gems

A close up

A close up

The Memories
For this piece I used the leftover masking tapes that I have saved from another project. The coloration changed when I brushed clear gel medium over it to protect it from any changes. So I had to add more colors to it to fix it. I used the same Lindy's sprays as I had used in the other project where the masking tape is from. I used the Tim Holtz's Faded dots stencil with the texture paste. I added more color (blazing black) so the dots would blend in. I was trying out the Altenew's Beautiful day stamps and decided to add the flowers as focal point. The orange color is glitter glue and the white stuff Liquid pearls pearl.

The Memories

A close up

The Green
I don't know what to say about this one. I just tried some Distress inks from the refill bottles on the watercolor paper, blues and greens but mostly green. I gessoed it and watched the inks bleed through. I used two stencils, one is the Burlap by Tim Holtz and the other one is one of my own. I think I did something between the stenciling but I don't remember what anymore. This piece formed gradually and in a long period of time. So, I did something something and put it aside to stew for a while. Then I brushed over some white acrylic paint, not entirely but here and there. I thought it was ready, but as the last steps I spread Prima's waxes over it and when that had dried, I dropped some Lindy's spray as finishing. I wasn't sure if I would add the text. Perhaps some other one would have fit more properly. In a way this still looks unfinished but I will leave it as it is.

The Green

A close up

The decayed wall
Multi-layers of "I don't like this shit". It's okay now, but not perfect. The first layer has some bordeaux colored glimmer glam glitter paint by Tattered angels and tea dye colored Distress stain. Under that is also some stenciling made with my own stencil design. That was the first ugly shit and the coloring came second. It just wasn't a nice sight so I think I gessoed it with white gesso. It was either that or gel medium but it could have been both. Honestly, I don't remember... No, it was the white gesso because it turned pink. I had used something that made it look pink. It probably was the glimmer glam glitter paint, not sure though.

Anyway, the beige/bordeaux background was now pinkish white. I think I glued over it a piece of a cute die cutting but messed it up (surprise!) at some point. I remember the soggy wet paper which I tore off. I gave the background another touch of white gesso and started to color it with Lindy's Blazing black. Did something wrong again, probably too much moisture and tried to wipe excess of and ended up with background peeling of. "I don't like this shit" had turned into "I kinda like it". So, the next phases were adding more color, taking it off, adding some shimmer, praying it will come off, doing and un-doing stuff. This is now what I have: a piece that can stay like that or it just might get some more tinkering. For now, it will go to the finished pile.

The decayed wall

A close up

Kommentit