Lindy's color challenge September 2018

The clock work

Once again a little mixed media piece made for entering the Lindy's color challenge. I don't think I have ever made a tag before and this one wasn't going to be a tag at first, neither something to enter a challenge with. I just had a piece of scrap paper and an old dictionary. Since many crafters use books or book pages for their projects, so I thought I would try and see what I can achieve with these very thin book pages. I glued the papers on the scrap paper (I think it was an aquarelle paper), text turned vertically. I like how the text has different styles (bold, cursive and so on), it gave an extra effect to the background. I wanted the text to show partially, so I used very little white gesso (Ranger's Claudine Hellmuth studio gesso) and covered then with Prima's clear gesso.

When the gesso was drying, I started to think which colors to use. I had already put on display the magical powders meant to use for the color challenge, so I thought I'd try them and see how it turns out. I used Time travel teal and a bit of Bavarian blue. First spritzed some water, shaked powders to the paper and then added more water. I used a brush for mixing. While the surface was still wet, I took my new purchase, the stencil by 13arts, and placed it over the whole thing and then wiped some color off with a wet baby wipe. At some some point I had punched a hole to the top and rounded the edges.

The background ready for stenciling

I mixed the Oktoberfest orange powder into the a small amount of modeling paste by Liquitex. I used quite a lot of color to get the right shade. I guess I could have used less because the blue color came a bit through and darkened the shade. I tried that modeling paste for the first time. It came in a set of different art mediums. I like the consistence of the paste. Slightly thick but easy to spread and it didn't go under the stencil. I will definitely use it more. I washed the stenciling supplies and left the tag to dry over night.

Touch of orange

I really liked what I had so far and I was pondering if I would leave it as sample and re-do everything in bigger scale. I was too lazy to start over so I continued with the tag. It took me a half day to figure out how to proceed. Since the Oktoberfest orange magical powder has some shimmer to it and it didn't show on the triangels, I mixed a bit of powder with water. I then brushed some shimmery orange to those triangel. Unfortenately, some triangels got too much orange liquid and it bleeded to surrounding blue area. That is why the clock work is covering a big area of the lower part. I planned to place it where text is but it needed to cover some major oopsies at the bottom. At the top the color bleed doesn't show so much because of the darker blue tone.

For the clock work I sacrificed an old cheap wrist watch. I did have a chipboard clock but it didn't look right for this piece. I folded and draped two small pieces of teal colored tull and put them under the clock, one on each sides. I glued the pieces together with Aleene's tacky glue (fast grab or quick dry or something like that). I also used Ranger multi medium for glueing the chain. Which by the way was the hardest one to find the right position for it.

I also had another chain, a bit thicker gun-metal colored one, which I tried to emboss with embossing powder. Not a good try-out. I couldn't get the color the way I wanted and the melted powder made the chain stiffer and angular. Of course, I should have realized that but I thought I could get something really cool looking. I will use that chain bit in some other project. I made another mistake by making small droplets to the background with the Ranger's Glossy accent. At first there wasn't enough droplets and then there was too many. I also added Ranger's stickles glitter glue, Orange peel, to give more glitter. The text was written with a white Sakura gel pen on a black gessoed paper strip. It took me a few attempts to get the handwriting pretty enough. The tassel was white cotton yarn dyed with the Oktoberfest orange.

You cannot tame the time

Here are the links to the Lindy's products that I used:
- Bavarian blue magical shaker
https://www.lindysgang.com/collections/magical-powders/products/bavarian-blue

- Oktoberfest orange magical shaker
https://www.lindysgang.com/collections/magical-powders/products/oktoberfest-orange

- Time travel teal magical, which is included in the Industrial chic magicals set
https://www.lindysgang.com/collections/magical-powders/products/industrial-chic-magical-shimmer-powders

Here is the blog link to the Lindy's September 2018 color challenge:
https://lindysgang.blog/2018/09/01/september-challenge-is-here-with-a-bang/


The Lindy's challenge graphic for September

And here you can read the rules for the challenges: https://lindysgang.blog/color-challenge-info/

Here is also the Facebook group link to the Lindy's creative gang group if you like to check it out: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LindysCreativeGang/

Kommentit